Here at the Sacred Heart Retreat House, we are in a new season of celebrating and deepening our love for the Sacred Heart of Jesus with a renewed mission statement to Draw Closer to the Heart of Jesus! What better way to do that this month than to reflect on the 12 Promises of His Heart and His deep love for each of us.
Oh the heart of the matter… it’s all about His love! Have you ever thought about how Jesus gave us His Heart? I’m really thankful it’s not a devotion to His foot, that’s for sure! Pope Pius XII said in 1956 in his encyclical called, Haurietis Aquas (On Devotion to the Sacred Heart):
“How much He loves us to give us His very Heart – no matter how unworthy or sinful we are… He wants us just as we are…“The heart has always been seen as the ‘center’ or essence a person (‘the heart of the matter,’ ‘you are my heart,’ ‘take it to heart,’ etc.) and the wellspring of our emotional lives and love (‘you break my heart,’ ‘my heart sings,’ etc.). Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus is devotion to Jesus Christ Himself, but in the particular ways of meditating on his interior life and on His threefold love –His divine love, His burning love that fed His human will, and His sensible love that affects His interior life.”
This devotion stems all the way back to the apostles – John the Evangelist, resting on Jesus’ Heart at the Last Supper. Imagine listening to His Heart beat that night, when He knew that He was about to lay down His life for all of us.
Jesus longs to claim us for Himself, and He, in His generosity, grants us promises if we turn to Him!
“Look at this heart which has loved people so much, and yet they do not want to love me in return. Through you, My divine Heart wishes to spread its love everywhere on earth.”
The 12 Promises were given to St. Margaret Mary by Jesus Himself. Jesus promised St. Margaret Mary that when we listen to His voice, we hold the keys to His Heart and have nothing to fear for He is always with us.
Read prayerfully the 12 Promises of the Sacred Heart,
listening to the voice of the gentle Shepherd…
- I will give them all the graces necessary for their state of life.
- I will establish peace in their homes.
- I will comfort them in all their afflictions.
- I will be their secure refuge during life, and above all, in death.
- I will bestow abundant blessings upon all their undertakings.
- Sinners shall find in my Heart the source and infinite ocean of mercy.
- Lukewarm souls shall become fervent.
- Fervent souls shall quickly mount to high perfection.
- I will bless those places wherein the image of My Sacred Heart shall be exposed and venerated.
- I will give to priests the gift of touching the most hardened hearts.
- Those who propagate this devotion shall have their names eternally written in my Heart.
- I promise you in the excessive mercy of my Heart that my all-powerful love will grant to all those who receive Holy Communion on the First Fridays in nine consecutive months the grace of final perseverance; they shall not die in my disgrace, nor without receiving their sacraments. My divine Heart shall be their safe refuge in this last moment.
Take some time to re-read the promises and reflect on these questions:
Which Promise strikes you most right now as you read through them prayerfully?
Which one stirs curiosity in your heart that you want to learn more about?
Which one stirs a deep desire for that gift in your life, your family?
Turn to His Sacred Heart and rest with Him a while, sharing with Him your heart’s desires and asking what His are for you as well.