The opportunities for employment at Sacred Heart Retreat House are regularly updated on this page according to the needs of our retreat center. We invite you to check back regularly for new information. God bless you!
Job Title: COOK Sacred Heart Retreat House, Alhambra CA
Employer: Sacred Heart Retreat House
Position Type: 40 hours per week. Flexible: Weekdays and weekends, evenings and mornings.
Mission Statement: Drawing Closer to the Heart of Jesus. . .
Our vision is to be a spiritual oasis which brings the People of God into a deeper union with Him so that they can become a beacon of light and love to others. We do all we can to provide an atmosphere of respect, quiet and joy to facilitate an encounter with God for each person.
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
- Minimum of High School diploma or equivalent.
- Active (Serve Safe) State sanitary certification and minimum two hours of job related continuing education per year
- At least three years experience in quantity food production as a cook or a vocational certification in culinary arts
- Must be able to speak, read, write, and understand the English language at a high school level
- Basic knowledge of special dietary, nutritional requirements, and portion control
Every effort has been made to identify the essential functions of this position. However, it in no way states or implies that these are the only duties you will be required to perform. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or is an essential function of the position.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure that all food is properly cooked, held, stored, and served for optimal quality safety and palatability according to regulatory requirements at all times.
- Maintain cooking area and equipment in a clean organized and sanitary manner according to
- Department of Health Standards at all times. Wash all dishes, pots and pans used in daily food preparation and assist with these on retreat or special event food preparation.
- Pull food according to menu specifications and utilize leftovers within three days to avoid spoilage.
- Adjust recipes for volume and substitute ingredients as necessary.
- When assigned by the Kitchen Supervisor the cook will assist in the food inventory each week and report the information to the Kitchen Supervisor or their delegate by the requested time.
- Prepares all food according to menu specifications and at gourmet quality.
- Reports to Kitchen Supervisor maintenance requisitions for all items in need of repair before the end of the shift.
- Ensure food is completely ready to serve at established meal times.
- Assist, as needed, with kitchen deliveries and restocking.
- Follow set schedule and work tasks according to weekly duty list provided by the Kitchen Supervisor.
- Serve food on tray line or dining room as assigned.
- Answer phone inquiries as needed.
- Perform all other duties in keeping with training as requested by Supervisor or Administrator.
- Adhere to professional dress code that reflects the mission of Sacred Heart Retreat House with excellent grooming and appearance.
- Follow all guidelines in the handbook and policies, as well as, all safety procedures.
- Attend all in-services, meetings and other training required by this position.
- Exposure to extreme temperatures ranging from 0°F – 200°F
- Exposure to strong smells and odors
- Exposure to some chemicals and irritants the workplace
- Primarily works inside of a kitchen but does cross the 4 acre campus to work in other areas of the facility from time to time.
Skills and Job Requirements:
- Project a professional image through in-person, electronic and phone interactions.
- Ability to cook quality and tasty meals for a variety of menus and quantities of meals.
- Knowledge of and ability to perform basic practices of food preparation and kitchen sanitation.
- Prioritize and perform multiple functions under time pressure and deadlines with accuracy while maintaining a positive disposition.
Physical and Sensory Requirements:
- Must be able to see and hear or use prosthetics that will enable these senses to function adequately to assure that the requirements of this position can be fully met.
- Must be able to stand and walk in the kitchen for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to push, pull, and move a minimum of 25 pounds with or without accommodation to a minimum distance of 50 feet.
- Must be able to lift a minimum 25 pounds alone and a minimum and a minimum height of 5-7 feet with or without accommodation.
Application Link: Click here to apply
of the Most Sacred Heart of Los Angeles
Join the Carmelite Sisters’ mission of promoting a deeper spiritual life through healthcare, education and retreats.
Skilled Nursing Facility
Marycrest Manor is a home to many in need of skilled nursing services. Join us in supporting and caring for our residents.
A Neighborhood of Care
Santa Teresita serves as a skilled nursing and assisted living home. Come and join our Neighborhood of Care.